Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Notes to Self ~ How to Spend Your Summer

I found something interesting in my inbox when I opened it this morning. It was an announcement from Lezlie Winemaker about her studio tour in Thornhill. It's the 13th annual Mother's Day Studio Tour. And she has called for lampwork students to register. It's something I've wanted to learn but Bead FX, where Lezlie will be doing the workshop, is so far away.

Do you know Lezlie? Silly me! Everybody knows Lezlie. I've told you about her in past posts here. She's the driving force, the inspiration, the personality in DreamGlass.ca. She has strong family support that allows her to travel the globe to show her works of wearable art. Her mum and auntie held the fort at the Spring One of a Kind show in Toronto while Lezlie went to the trade show in Las Vegas.



On Saturday last, I attended the Toronto Bead Society's Spring Bead Fair as a volunteer at the Society's table. What little I saw of it was marvellous. Did I see the people I wanted to see? Only from afar. I got to my destination with difficulty and only 5 minutes late. Will I volunteer again? I expect I will but I'll be taking somebody along who can help me: it took too much out of me just getting there and home again. It's a must see on any beader's list of shows and is held twice a year: Spring and Fall. The next show will be October 31 to November 1 2009: the venue will be the CNIB, 1929 Bayview, Toronto.

There was a slough of shows and studio tours and the like with their flyers at the Society's table. There's a lampwork trunk show on Saturday May 30, 10 to 5. And the Toronto Gem & Mineral show is coming to the Don Mills Civitan Arena ~ 1030 Don Mills Rd in Toronto ~ July 24 to 26. New to me but comes highly recommended is the Textile Museum of Canada's More Than Just a Yardage Sale. Did I say 'highly recommended?' It is the 'must see' of all shows. The sale is Friday May 29 ~11 to 6~ and Saturday May 30 ~10 to 1.

A personal favourite is the Jaboli Open House June 25 to 28, 10 to 5 at 575 Watt Street in Fergus. You are invited to tour their workshop and have Tea with Nana. Jaboli is a business of and for gentlewomen. Adjectives to best describe their work? Incredibly detailed. Original. Friendly. Ageless and age appropriate.

I've not attended the next 2 shows but they would make a lovely day trip: Fairy Lake Artisans Festival and the 31st Thorold Arts and Crafts Show. Details for the Thorold show can be had by emailing cathy.henderson@sympatico.ca.

Some of these flyers we collected when we visited the Milton Farm Craft show in Milton. This show is held 2x a year and this year I was there on business: it was a bonus that I enjoyed it. This year's spring show had some new vendors and there was more space per vendor than usual. The traditional rain fell on Saturday and we missed it because we went on Sunday: it was a glorious Sunday. Marg and I picked up the work of Asem Nada who, with his wife Laura, is La Glasserie. I commissioned some glass leaves and they are beautiful. These leaves are about 2.25 inches from tip to bail and almost 1.5 inches at their widest part. I've commissioned more leaves from this talented man that should be better suited for earrings.

Interesting Find: Jeff and Dye's Hermit Studios. They have a jewellery business with some original work AND some interesting techniques. Have you heard of Song Feathers? Hermit has them.

I have been busy, haven't I!!

No comments:

Post a Comment